This is by far the most fattening cake I have ever baked and I was totally freaking out while baking the cake because
1. I emptied the huge nutella jar.
2. I used up an entire bar of Cadbury dark chocolate.
3. I finished up half a block of butter.
4. And the frosting was a dark chocolate ganache which required cream.
It was so funny because I called Vivian after baking my cake and before making my ganache and was screaming “IT’S SO FATTENING! HELP!” But in the end we just decided to forget the calories and just whip up the ganache too.
Anyway, the cake was a birthday cake for a good friend of mine (his photo is so unglam HAHAHAHA; photo credits to vivian) whom I treasure a lot and who has been pigging out on my cakes so I had to make a cake which I had never made before. Googling nutella cake gave me a Nigella Lawson’s recipe which looked so amazingly moist and dense that I could not resist trying it. Apologies for the lousy quality photographs that I took with my iPhone because it was a late night bake, I had no time to style the cake and we were famished. On a side note, it was a successful birthday surprise! 🙂
I had to use both my mixers to make this cake. One to whip the egg whites and the other to cream the butter. Other than the extensive washing I had to do (which thankfully my helper helped out with), this cake was relatively easy to make. I love the addition of rum into this cake (call me an alcoholic) and how the cake rises in the oven but sinks when it is cooling, and I just know that it is sinking and condensing into this chocolate haven.
Everyone loved the cake and demanded it for their birthday hahaha which would be terrifying because that means we would be eating it 3 more times this year and omg the fats. It’s so dense and moist, perfect with the crunchy hazelnut bits all over the cake. You can’t go wrong if your cake is mostly made of nutella and chocolate anyway. It’s a cake I would definitely make again if I ever have a tub of nutella lying around but let’s hope the tub of nutella won’t appear soon. Meanwhile, it’s time to gym.
Ingredients for the cake
6 large eggs (separated)
1 pinch of salt
125 grams soft unsalted butter
400 grams nutella (1 large jar)
1 tablespoon rum
100 grams ground hazelnuts
100 grams dark chocolate (melted)- I love using Cadbury Old Gold 70% Dark Chocolate
Ingredients for the ganache
125 ml double cream
1 tablespoon rum
125 grams dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
3. Cream butter and nutella together until light and fluffy.
4. Add in the egg yolks one by one until well mixed.
5. Add in the rum.
6. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites on low speed until stiff peaks form. You can add 1 tbsp of sugar to stabilise the structure.
7. Add a dollop of egg whites into the batter and mix.
8. Gently fold in a third of the egg whites at a time into the batter.
9. Pour batter into a 9 inch springform tin. Bake for 50 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
10. Melt dark chocolate, rum and double cream in a heavy-based saucepan until chocolate is just melted.
11. Whisk until desired thickness.
12. Cool baked cake, do not remove from the base. Pour ganache onto the cake.