Ever craved homemade pizza but it’s only an hour to lunch? I’ve discovered a recipe from Smitten Kitchen which makes pizza dough in less than an hour. That means, a quick pizza fix is always possible!!!!! Are you as excited as I am????
The best part of homemade pizza for me is that I can be creative with my toppings and most importantly, spam toppings. I hate that pizzas sold outside always have very little toppings and cost at least $20. I feel like I’m eating more bread than anything else. I need my cheese. And ham. And mushrooms. Since I looooove cheese, spamming mozzarella cheese is one of the must dos when I make my pizzas.
I wanted my pizza this time to have more colour, so I sprinkled some arugula on top for the vibrancy. Food tastes so much better when it looks better 🙂 You have to try this recipe and go get creative with your pizzas!!! 🙂
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Makes 1 30cm pizza
100g bread flour
100g plain flour
100ml warm water
1 1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp table salt
1. Heat oven to 110 degrees Celsius for 5 minutes and then turn it off.
2. Dump all ingredients to a mixer (alternatively you could use your hands)
3. Mix on moderate speed until a craggy mass is formed.
4. Mix on low speed for 5 minutes until a smooth and elastic dough is formed.
5. Oil a bowl and place dough in it. Cover with cling wrap.
6. Place dough in oven. Wait until it doubles in size, approximately 30 minutes.
7. Roll it out and get creative!
It’s been a while since a homemade pizza came out of our oven. We used to use the bread machine to make the pizza dough but ever since the bread machine spoilt, we haven’t made pizza. It’s depressing because pizza is one of my favourite food and it is only satisfying if there are lots of ingredients on top which is never the case when you eat pizzas in restaurants.
Having recently discovered the amazing powers of my Kenwood mixer, I used it to knead my pizza dough and happily piled loads of ingredients on top of the base 🙂 Claudia is happy.
Ingredients for Pizza dough
4 tbsp warm water
2 tsp dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
150g bread flour
100g all purpose flour
Directions for Pizza dough
1. Place warm water, sugar and dry yeast in a bowl for 5 min until it has frothed.
2. Combine flour, salt, egg and yeast into mixer bowl.
3. Mix on low speed until dough is smooth and elastic.
4. Oil a large bowl, place dough into oiled bowl and oil the top of the dough. Place a cloth above the dough and let it rest in a warm place for 2 hours or until it has doubled in size.
Directions for making pizza
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Divide dough into two, place each dough in a medium sized pizza pan (9 inch).
3. Roll out dough and place into oven for 5 mins.
4. Remove pizza from oven, spread tomato paste and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
5. Place in oven for 3 minutes or until cheese has melted.
6. Place desired toppings and bake till cheese is melted and brown.